Menu

St Charles Hospital (Chapels)

 The St Charles’ Centre for Health and Wellbeing is located off Ladbroke Grove in North West London. St Charles’ sentinel towers have dominated this area for over a century. This beautiful grade II listed building was designed and built by the Victorian architect Henry Saxon Snell. Snell, born in 1830, had acted as assistant to Sir Joseph Paxton, the designer of the Crystal Palace of 1851. Snell specialised in hospitals and similar establishments. There had been a workhouse on the present St Charles’s site, which opened in 1792, with a capacity for 300 beds. It became one of the best run workhouse-infirmaries in London.

In 1867, the Guardians decided upon a major reconstruction. It was agreed a completely new and modern infirmary should be built. The new hospital opened in 1881 as an infirmary for the sick poor of the parish of St Marylebone.

The original building survives largely intact which is a tribute to Snell and his team of craftsmen. Snell’s magnificent construction has some interesting spaces. Some of these spaces are now available for meetings or conference facilities.

Description of the rooms and booking terms and conditions

Address: 
Exmoor Street, London W10 6DZ
Contact: 
Tina & Wendy
Phone: 
0208 969 2488
Available to hire: 
Weekdays
Evenings
Equipment available: 
upon request
Rms and capacity: 
Conference Room 1- 30, Old Chapel- 60 people, Small Chapel - 20 people, Estates Meeting Room - 10 people, Conference Room 2 &3 - 10 people, Conference Room 4 & 5 - 6 people.
Disability access: 
Yes