If you are passionate about making a real change for residents in Kensington and Chelsea, then KCSC needs you! Kensington and Chelsea Social Council (KCSC) is the umbrella body for the voluntary and community sector in the borough, working with a wide range of community-based organisations and directly with residents.
The borough of Kensington and Chelsea is a borough of vast differences, from areas of great wealth to areas of some of the highest deprivation levels in the country. It is also a borough which has been through major periods of challenges and change both historical and current. The most recent being the Grenfell Tower fire and what has happened to the community in the wake of the fire. A motorway being built through the heart of North Kensington and dividing the area was another back in 1960.
KCSC is an organisation that prides itself in being within the heart of the community, with social justice as one of our core values in which we base all of our activities. We have always played a key role in providing support to the local voluntary and community sector and since Grenfell we have strengthened our role within community development, working much more closely with residents and ensuring that they have the opportunities opened up to them that they can self determine their own futures.
Established in 2002, KCSC is the Council for Voluntary Services for the borough of Kensington and Chelsea. Our vision is to see a thriving community for all and our mission to strengthen and promote local voluntary and community organisations and the communities they work with.
We are a membership organisation, registered as a charity and company limited by guarantee. We are a small organisation with a staff team of 11 which punches above its weight to deliver a wide range of services.
We do this through a range of ways. We have over 400 voluntary and community organisations on our database to whom we aim to provide a range of services which include:
- Advice, guidance and information to help organisations run as effectively as possible such as fundraising, governance and financial and staff management
- We bring voluntary and community groups together to network and help them work together in partnership
- We represent the voluntary and community sector in Kensington and Chelsea at a strategic level, seeking to ensure that statutory bodies take into account the needs of the local voluntary and community sector when developing local strategies.
- We play a key role in community development, working closely with residents to address local issues and to ensure their voices are heard with decision makers
- We have an influencing and leadership role locally, as KCSC seeks to influence local decision making on many matters from housing to health, commissioning to collaborations.
About the Board
The Board of Trustees are elected by our members at the AGM on a three year basis. Currently we are a diverse board of 11 which includes local residents and trustees from across the voluntary, statutory and private sectors. Some board members are coming towards the end of their time on the board so it is vital that we regain the skills and knowledge that they have contributed over the years.
A new chair
Our current Chair has been serving as Chair to KCSC for many years and has overseen the organisation through a difficult economic climate and more recently through the Grenfell tragedy. His commitment and the time he has given to KCSC has been greatly valued. Upon stepping down the incumbent is willing to support the incoming chair over a period of 3 months to ensure a smooth transition into the organisation.
We are therefore seeking an experienced and committed individual to Chair our Board of Trustees, ideally someone who lives or works in the borough but more importantly has a deep understanding of the role and value of the voluntary and community sector within the sphere of social action.
The Chair should also understand the importance of community development as an essential aspect of our work, and also the importance of relationships across sectors. All of this within the context of a changing environment within which the voluntary and community sector is operating, providing both opportunities and challenges ahead.
Your role as Chair
- Provide strategic leadership for KCSC
- Lead the Board, ensuring the Board and the organisation meet their governance requirements
- Be an ambassador for KCSC
- Chair both quarterly Board and the Personnel and Finance Sub Committee meetings
- Work with the Chief Executive to ensure effective implementation of KCSC’s strategy
You will be committed to the furtherance of the voluntary and community sector and its role within civil society and subscribe to our stated mission and values. You will be committed to challenging social injustice and to community development and the role the Social Council can play within this. You will have experience and understanding of what it means to be a trustee and be willing to share your knowledge and expertise to help the organisation develop strategically.
In addition, you will have:
- Proven experience of chairing and working collaboratively with a diverse set of trustees
- Good interpersonal skills
- A good working knowledge of the voluntary and community sector
The Chair will need to commit to attending a total of 8 Board/Sub Committee meetings a year as well as spend about one day a month on attending additional meetings with the CEO/trustees and representing KCSC at strategic meetings or events.
Closing Date: Friday 16 January 2020
How to Apply
To find out more please contact Angela Spence, CEO of KCSC by telephone (020 7243 9800) or email for an informal discussion. To apply send through your CV which provides details of two referees to Angela Spence at email@example.com