Hodan Somali Community is a charity that was established in 2005. Hodan’s core aim and the focus of all its work is empowering, increasing the self reliance, self sufficiency and independence of the Somali community and other BME communities in Kensington and Chelsea and enhancing their ability to take part in and contribute to wider society.
They are looking for self-motivated individuals to join the Board of Trustees, whose role is to lead the organisation in achieving its strategic objectives, as well as ensuring that the requirements of the Charity Commission are fully met. The Board typically meets quarterly, although additional meetings may be called if urgent issues arise.
They are specifically looking to recruit Trustees with the following skills:
- Fundraising – to assist with grant applications, corporate fundraising, recruiting and sustaining an online supporter base, etc.
- Accounting – to serve as Treasurer for the organisation
- Advice and Advocacy – to keep Hodan apprised of best practice in the advice sector
- Family and youth work – to help to design, and fundraise for, a mentoring program for Somali children and young people and a parenting skills course for adults (priority needs expressed by service users in the 2017 strategy consultation)
- Intercultural communication skills – to help address the social isolation of members of the Somali community, and to design programs that promote integration and social well-being
Participation in the Board of Trustees is on a voluntary basis. Full induction will be provided, and reasonable travel expenses within London will be reimbursed.
The role will offer the opportunity to gain work experience in the voluntary sector, to build confidence, and to develop skills in teamwork, organisational development and intercultural communication.
How to apply:
To apply, please send a personal statement to email@example.com.
If you require further information about this opportunity, please contact 020 8960 5813 or 07949 514936.