Corona Kids is an organisation who supports London prisoners families caring for children.
They are currently delivering a welfare telephone support service to London Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic Families (BAME) with a family member in prison.
The BAME Welfare Telephone Support Service enables prisoners to access immediate practical and emotional help for their families as we continue to navigate our way through the Corona Virus Crisis. Corona Kids identified BAME prisoner families as in need because:
- BAME prisoners are over- represented in the Criminal Justice System
- Evidence has emerged that BAME communities are more vulnerable to the impact of Corona Virus for health, social and economic reasons.
- BAME prisoners and families may be less likely to connect with sources of support.
This service will be facilitated remotely over the telephone, so no direct contact with families. Families are eligible if they are from the BAME community with at least one child in the family under 18. This could be a prisoner’s own family and children/ support for ex- partner/partner/kinship carer with children or support for a prisoner’s parent and younger siblings.
The service is open on Thursdays and Fridays from 9.30am to 2.30pm each week and signposts families to helping organisations, provides prisoner families with information and advice and advocates for families in crisis. For example:
- Connect families to local Corona Virus sources of support EG Their local Corona Virus Mutual Aid Support service.
- Refer family members to organisations offering emotional and practical support EG Food Banks, Young Carers Organisations, local mental health support.
- Advocate for families in need. EG Access laptop for children/ speak to Corona Virus testing/ liaise with local foodbanks.
The project is delivered by 2 facilitators who are experienced prisoner families' practitioners and registered social workers with enhanced DBS and over 10 years direct work experience with prisoners families. £9992 funds were secured from The Big Lottery Corona Virus Community Fund to deliver this project over 6 months.
The project will end 27th February 2021. It is open to referrals now and will operate over the Christmas period.