Trust for London has granted KCSC a total of £130,000 over the next 3 years to deliver the Stronger Voices programme.
Based on the current work of KCSC delivering community development and engagement activities since the Grenfell fire, the funding will contribute to the funding of our Community Development role and will enable KCSC to work closely with local organisations, particularly grassroots/social action groups, to build and sustain the voice of the community within North Kensington.
The funding will help enable positive change through increasing the skills and knowledge of civil society organisations based within Kensington and Chelsea, through training and development to improve facilitation, input and control over the recovery of North Kensington. There will be a focus on communities disadvantaged by poverty and inequality and particularly affected by the Grenfell Fire.
KCSC wants to address the following issues:
- A need to strengthen the role of the VCS to enable it to play a greater role in voice and representation. VCOs both established and new and emerging can be better equipped to help support communities address some of the complex challenges and effectively influence local statutory bodies through engaging in decision-making processes.
- Build the skills of Residents Associations to enable them to reach the full potential of active citizenship and influencing local decision making.
- Ensure there are opportunities for networking, sharing experiences and working together through the North Kensington United Forum (previously the Grenfell Network Group).
KCSC will address these issues by delivering the following:
- Training workshops and seminars
- Peer to Peer learning and mentoring
- Conversation Cafés leading to Pop-Up-Democracies.
- Supporting collaborations between grassroot/social action groups and with the established voluntary sector and statutory partners.